So, cauliflower rice is lyfe. Can we just agree to that, heads up?
Okay, good. Friends forever.
Thing is: cauli rice can get a little bland, I've noticed. Now that it's available in the frozen section of Trader Joes, and prechopped in the fresh produce section of lotsa grocery stores, it's like tooeasy to just pan fry the stuff into a hash.
Which is coo'.
No judgement on hashing over here.
But, like, there has to be another way, right? There have gotta be, like 26789 ways to twist it up, cauli rice style.
And blessedly, there so it.
You can bake it.
And while, sure, baked rice sounds weirdish, baked cauli rice is yummotasm. Which is totally a word. Don't urban dictionary it.
While writing recipes for the Food for Life cookbook, we worked feverishly to turn real people recipes into gut-healing, nightshade-free, gluten-free, grain-free eats. And creating a warm, comforting real food bake was top o' the list.
And with this easy recipe, winner winner salmon dinner.
Cauli rice, zucchini, salmon, herbed coconut oil, lemon, salt, pepper.
Y'kna when there is some combo so simple and perfect, that you just sit there, forking it into your face and wondering "now whyyyy haven't I made this easy tasty insanely perfect recipe before?"
Yeah, that is this.
Fork, face, enjoy.
Simple Salmon Bake
Learn more about this recipe on Instagram @cheekykitchen
Prepare this easy dinner the night before, place in the fridge and it'll be ready to bake whenever you're ready for dinner!
Makes 2 servings | 25 minutes
- 2-3 cups fresh or frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large salmon filet
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fresh chopped basil or parsley, for garnish (optional)
In a 9x9" pan, place cauliflower rice on one side, zucchini and squash on the other side. Top with salmon, coconut oil, sprinkle of garlic. Salt and pepper to taste.
Bake in an oven heated to 400F for 18-22 minutes, or until salmon easily flakes with a fork.
If desired, garnish with fresh basil or parsley.
- Pineapples and Peas. Instead of zucchini, place 1 cup frozen pea and 1 cup diced pineapple in baking dish. Drizzle with honey (if using) and Bragg's amino, garnish with green onions.
- Fresh and Simple. Omit zucchini. Top baked salmon and cauliflower rice with avocados and/or diced fresh mango & oranges.
- Asparagus Mushroom. Instead of zucchini, add chopped asparagus and sliced mushrooms.