The BF is out of town this week. His company is HQ'ed in Spain, so he flits over to the Basque Country from time to time. I've been able to travel with him on several trips, so know and love the area truly, madly, fondly.
He's 8 hours ahead. In the morning, we message and it's lunchtime for him. By the time I head to bed around 11am, he's messaging me a hello, his greeting usually accompanied with a photo of "Spanish Breakfast Meats", as he calls them. An array of charcuterie, with a tiny cortado tucked next to the plate. Spanish Meats are one of the best things about a trip to Bilbao. And he regularly jealouses my head off with his descriptions of all the wonderful things he's eating each morning.
But this time, there was a new daily offering at the hotel. Belgian Waffles popping into being on the buffet. And the BF sent scintillating reports of those tender, sweet waffles, each bite with pearls of Belgian sugar.
It was more than I can bear. Because me? I harbor a serious waffle fetish.
Like appropriate fetish.
Like eating fetish.
Waitasec. Googling if fetish can be nonsexual.
Oh, yeah. Who knew?
2. an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.
Okay, so let's just say I have a #2 fetish over waffles. The #1 fetish is not my thing in this instance.
Truth being: I worship waffles. Like, just absolutely adore them.
I'd wear waffle necklaces and waffle earrings if I could find them.
WAITASEC. Do they MAKE WAFFLE EARRINGS? I'mma google this. Because: obviously need.
OKAY, GUYS. Reporting back here.
YES THEY HAVE WAFFLE EARRINGS. Which pair should I get?
- There are these classic polymer clay earrings. They LOOK JUST LIKE WAFFLES. I worry about my ability to not nibble on them.
- There are these cute little dangly heart waffle earrings. Cute, but too cute? Does this properly convey my passion? My obsession?
- THEN there are these WTF HOW ARE THESE EVEN A THING $59 Baltic Amber Waffle Earrings, that look like they've been drizzled with syrup and butter...BUT IN GEMS. So, for starters: like this seems serious. If you're gonna go ahead and gem up your fetish, it's like, some ancient Egyptian level passion going on, right? Like, maybe, for $59, I should just build a damn statue in my front yard. Or, like, go on a waffle spirit journey. That's a lotta dough. So sparkling.
(But also, is it weird: I am oddly fascinated by the idea of having the most expensive piece of jewelry I own BE JEWELED WAFFLE EARRINGS. That is so over-the-top, it is almost awesome. I am thinking on this.)
And while I do, go grab a pack of waffles and make yourself breakfast sandwiches. They are mega OMG.
And also because: boyfriends aren't the only ones that deserve this sort of wonder for breakfast.
Blackberry, Bacon & Apple Open-Face Waffle Sandwiches
4 servings | 20 minutes
- 4 prepared Belgian waffles, toasted
- 1 green apple, cored and sliced thin
- 4-6 oz port cheese
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 8 large leaves fresh basil
- 4 oz blackberries
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- several pinches Maldon Smoked Sea Salt
- fresh ground pepper
Heat oven to 400ºF. Arrange toasted waffles on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with apples, cheese, bacon, basil and blackberries. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp maple syrup. Salt and pepper lightly. Bake until cheese is melted, about 18-20 minutes. Serve with maple syrup for dipping or drizzling. Enjoy!