You already know you like Chicken Enchilada Soup. But add white beans and butternut for a creamy, dream broth, serve it all topped with melted cheddar and queso in a big ol' rustic bread bowl, and suddenly you don't even know which way it up.
Like, I'm still definitely dizzy.
Just looking at this recipe now, it makes my knees weak.
I feel faint.
I just can't even.
It's more than I can bear.
I'm going to run to the medicine cabinet for my vapours while you just dive right in.
Call me if you need help.
Note: you're going to need help.
Chicken Enchilada and Butternut Squash Soup in a Bread Bowl
4 servings | 30 mins
- 16 oz frozen butternut squash cubes, thawed
- 16 oz chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp corn meal
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 grilled chicken breasts (or 1 lb shredded rotisserie chicken), chopped
- 2 (14 oz) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 oz cannelini beans, drained
- 16 oz frozen tricolor corn
- 1 bunch green onions
- 4 bread bowls, centers cut and hollowed out
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (stem & seeded portion discarded)
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 lime, wedged for garnish (optional)
Heat oven to 425ºF.
In a blender, combine butternut squash, garlic, corn meal, chili powder, cumin, onion salt, garlic powder and cornstarch. Transfer to a large pot.
Add chicken, tomatoes, beans and corn. Bring to a boil.
Remove from heat, stir in green onions. Spoon into bread bowls. Place bowls on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheddar and queso fresco. Arrange avocado and jalapeno slices on top.
Bake in oven until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 15-20 mins. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges. Serve with hollowed out bread for dipping. Enjoy!